I recently went to Denver and was voted onto the Bicycle Colorado board of Directors. Bicycle Colorado is Colorado’s largest and most influential bicycling advocacy group. I’m excited and honored to represent Durango and southwest Colorado in this new role! -Spencer
Click here for more info on Bicycle Colorado: http://bicyclecolorado.org/learn/about/
About Bicycle Colorado
We’re dedicated to building a bicycle-friendly Colorado
Bicycle Colorado uses the tools of education and advocacy to make Colorado one of the most bicycle-friendly states. We encourage and promote bicycling, increase safety, improve conditions and provide a voice for people who ride bicycles in Colorado. With the support of our members, we’ve made significant strides in improving bicycling since 1992.
To encourage and promote bicycling, increase safety, improve conditions and provide a voice for bicyclists in Colorado.
What We’ve Done
- Gained hundreds of miles of new shoulders for riding bicycles on state roads.
- Changed the law to allow side-by-side riding when it’s safe to do so.
- Changed the law to require drivers to give bicyclists 3 feet when passing and allows cars to cross a double-yellow line to safely pass.
- Changed the law so people riding bicycles can signal right turns with their right hands and so they can ride through a crosswalk instead of dismounting.
- Protected and improved important mountain bike trails, and ensured mountain biker representation in planning and preserving open space.
- Ended bicycle bans around the state, including bans on riding bikes on specific roads, on racing events and even on bringing your bike on light rail trains.
- Taught more than 70,000 Colorado kids to safely ride their bikes and walk to school, and hundreds of adults how to safely commute to work (and use their bikes for errands and nearby trips).
What We Believe
- We believe that riding a bike is fun. It’s a terrific way to get to work and school, to run errands, to spend your time on the weekends, to improve and maintain your health, to enjoy Colorado’s great outdoors, to protect the environment and improve air quality and, yes, even to fulfill a competitive streak.
- We believe that bicycles are good for business—the $1 billion bicycle economy in Colorado includes manufacturing, retail and tourism dollars.
- We believe that all public roads should be open and safe for riding a bicycle, and that investments in bicycle infrastructure are critical for the health of our communities and Colorado.
- We believe that, through education and conversation, everyone can share the road courteously and safely.
- We believe that bicycling is an essential part of Colorado’s identity.
- But mostly we believe that riding a bike is fun.